July 31, 2011

Growing Pains

Like I said earlier, I have an amazing job. Well, maybe that's not the right wording... My job itself is insanely lame. I have amazing bosses. I have been working here for 3 years now and it has been one of the biggest blessing in my life. When I was first hired, I was SO bad at the job. I mean, I was REALLY, really bad. I honestly can't believe I didn't get fired within my first month... But, God being as good as He is, gave my bosses grace (or blinders) and let me develop into the well-loved employee that I am today. Like I said, it has been such a blessing. From being able to make my own hours, getting raises and bonuses at just the right time, paid vacation even though I'm part-time, free lunches, and so much more, I have been truly spoiled.

I was talking to someone a month or so ago about my job and how it has ruined me for future employment. I couldn't imagine going to a place that would require 40 hours/week and actual work output! You know, a grown-up job. But, then something amazing happened.

A couple weeks ago, I went on a much needed, long, far too costly vacation that didn't last long enough (they never do). When I got back, I made my way back to work, sat at my desk, started the day and felt.... restless. I had felt restless before but, this was different. I was done. I was no longer attracted to all of my perks. I was ready to move on and use my time to positively impact others or, in the least, do something I enjoyed. And I didn't care if that required 40 hours a week or little pay!

Then, I had a coffee date with my wonderful best friend (my coffee dates with Leah are almost always Divine appointments) and she gave me the analogy of a mother bird pushing the baby birds out of the nest. I have been so stressed about finding a new source of employment but I am also so comforted to know that this is all part of God's plan. I never thought I'd be able to say goodbye to my current job but I am so thankful that God has given me the restlessness and, as a result, the strength to step out. I don't know where He will be sending me but I know that He will provide a place and a way.

Thank you, Father, for finally shoving me out of the nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment